Thursday, April 17, 2008

Remy and Ender and I went wading. On our usual trip to the park, I was crestfallen to see our running-round fields flooded with irrigation water. The twins and I played for a bit on the slides and swings. A few ducks were quacking about. Screw this, I thought to no one.

I waded out into the muddy water. My boots are designed for mountaineering and my feet remained dry. My pants and shirt were also designed for such activities so I did not fear damage.

My secret goal of being a water-proof uncle had finally manifested.

Remy followed me into the muck. After a few deliberate steps, he was slogging along happily after me.

Ender whined at us from the edge of the water. He took a few tentative steps towards the water but he clearly didn't like the squishiness of the mud at the edge. Only after I took his hand would he venture further.

He never did get used to the very muddy parts. A couple of times he fell and just sat for a bit. Ender walks on his toes a lot, a style not suited for muck stability.

Despite these obstacles, on we slogged. We were able to get very close to the ducks. There was a beautiful mallard with a lustrous green head. When he flew, he revealed bright pink spots on his wings, on the back part of what might correspond to the upper arm of a human.

The twins seemed happy to see the ducks. I hope to take them to Kiwanis park to see geese. That should scare the hell out of them.

I am excited to teach them science. I must get a microscope so we can take water samples.

No comments: